Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Grandpa Hind

1921-2008
My mom called yesterday morning to tell me that Grandpa would not be here much longer. It made me think about my memories of him. I will forever think of Grandpa when I see the horses in a parade. I laugh when I think of honking the horn when I saw him riding his bike around the streets of West Jordan. ( He has been deaf since he was 7) I loved it when he would let us ride Bambino, his horse that he kept in my parents yard. As a child I didn't communicate a lot with him because I didn't know sign language. As I got older I decided I wanted to learn more, I took a lot of sign classes in College and High School. My Grandpa was always VERY encouraging even when I didn't do so well. I could tell he was always so happy whenever I could sign with him. The older he has gotten the more soft he has become. He loved that Coleman was named after him and his mother, Spencer Coleman and Amy Coleman. Everytime I told him he would get misty eyed and say he didn't deserve that. His memory was fading so it was always a new surprise when I told him Coleman's name. I hope my Coleman uses his great-grandpa as a model of a righteous priesthood holder. My Grandpa was also VERY funny. I loved it when he would let his humor shine through.
This morning he passed away just short of his 88th birthday. I am so excited for him that he now reunited with his Mom, Dad, and all of his siblings. I am SURE it was a wonderful reunion! I am glad I was able to say goodbye last night. As Ellie said "Don't worry mom, we won't have to miss him anymore when he is resurrected and we won't have sign to him either".

14 comments:

Cyd said...

Ohhhh. I don't know about you but for me, today is all about remembering Grandpa. Seems as though it is the same for you.

Courtney said...

Mary, I am so sorry for the loss in your family. I'm so happy for the knowledge we have. Your sweet Ellie is totally right.
Wish I were there for you.

xoxo

Court

Brianna said...

I love that you guys are reminiscing the positive aspects of his life, I even have memories of him. I had to laugh at the horn honking though...that was so you =). Im sorry for your loss Mare...xoxoxo

PS I love your grandma's expression in this pic

Jen and Jeremy said...

That little Ellie just made me cry. What a sweetheart. Your grandpa was so cute, your memories of him are very sweet too.

The Bronson Bunch said...

What a neat man! I am sorry for your loss. It is always hard around the holidays to lose someone. Our prayers are with your family!

Unknown said...

What a touching tribute to your grandpa. He was a neat man. I enjoyed the times I was part of the family and visited with them or they came to your parents home. Ellie is so smart, you gotta love the faith of the children, reminders to us about Heavenly Fathers plan. God bless my "Utah Family" I wish I could be there with you at this time of sorrow and rejoicing in the life of a great man. Love you guys!!

Erin said...

A world without Grandpa seems so weird to me. I will miss him.

Marcie said...

I think it is great that you named Coleman after him. What a neat thing for the both of them.
Mary, you really did a nice tribute to him.

Jen said...

Ellie is always so in touch with the reality of this mortal life! =)
what a wonderful post Mary. I had no idea that you learned sign language so that you could speak to your grandpa. He sounds like he was an incredible man.

Yvonne said...

ELLIE IS SO RIGHT ON! WHAT A SMARTY. WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIBUTE TO A SWEET, GENTLE MAN. I HAVE MEMORIES THAT GO BACK 40 YRS. HE TOUCHED LIVES...

The Bevans said...

That picture of your grandparents together is so precious! And of course your Coleman will be as amazing as your grandpa!

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. Even with the knowledge we have, it's still hard to lose a loved one. It's neat that you had such a great relationship with him and memories that will hold you until you can see him again!

Kellie Glade said...

Sorry to hear the passing of such a great man. I enjoyed reading about him and the great legacy he is leaving.

Molly said...

Sometimes death is a blessing in disguise. My grandma is suffering from brain cancer and she lingers and lingers with no quality of life. I sometimes wish that the Lord would take her so she would not have to suffer. Memories are sweet and I love what your daughter said about resurrection and not having to sign anymore. Aren't we lucky to have that knowledge. Sorry for your loss. Hope you have enjoyed the holidays. Happy New Year!

Hind Babies

Hind Babies
There has been a baby boom in the Hind family. These are all, but 2 of the babies born in the last 6 months. We've been busy!